Saturday, November 16, 2013

Starting a Dairy/Soy Free Diet

I remember that feeling like yesterday. That sinking feeling when my little one had just been diagnosed with an allergy, and I needed to change everything about my diet. Where on earth do I start?? I know what I need to avoid...but which foods are safe? The last thing you want is to eat the wrong thing/give your child the wrong thing and be responsible for his/her suffering.

I was afraid to eat anything but chicken, rice, and a handful of veggies and fruit. Needless to say I quickly dropped some of that baby weight! However it is not healthy to live like that. I did lots of research and ingredient-reading over several months, and was able to come up with a guideline in case any of my mommy friends encountered the same issue...check it out!


Green Light list for the Dairy/Soy Free Diet:

- All meats (I had seen in certain parenting forums online that some people cut beef out of their diet. My allergist said this is not normally necessary for a cow's milk protein diet.  My little one never had an issue with beef, however everyone's situation is different, so it is best to consult with your doctor and/or allergist).

-Whole Grains (rice, quinoa, barley, oats, millet, wheat, etc)

-Any fruit

-Any vegetables/beans/legumes except soy beans and edamame beans. It may also be a good idea to avoid peas as they have similar proteins to soy. Again, it depends on your specific situation and would be best to consult with a doctor about this.

-Most pastas (No Name brand and President's Choice brands are safe)

-Unico, President's Choice, and No Name Pasta sauces are all made with olive oil or canola oil

-Fontaine Sante Hummus/Summer Fresh Hummus are both safe brands

-Heinz Ketchup

-All juice, pop, coffee, and tea that I have encountered are safe.

-President's Choice white soft tortillas

-Old El Paso Salsa, President's Choice salsa

-Hellman's Olive Oil Mayonnaise

-Kettle Brand Sea Salt potato chips

-Lard for baking (not "shortening"--contains soy!!!)

-President's Choice Black Menu unsweetened cocoa powder

-Renee's vinaigrette salad dressing uses canola oil

-All natural peanut butter--President's Choice makes some and it's good!

-President's choice Blue Menu jams/jellies

-Life Savers (hard candy and chewy candies)


I hope you find this "starting off list" helpful! These were some of my go-to items when I first started out. Most of these items can be found at Loblaws or Your Independent Grocer.

If you are curious about any specific items (where to find an item, whether or not an item is dairy/soy free, etc), or want to add more ideas to the list, feel free leave a comment...I will do my best to give you a satisfactory response, and I'm sure there are individuals out there who would appreciate the information.


**This post is not sponsored, and I am in no way affiliated with any of the brands mentioned in this post**

No comments:

Post a Comment